Sunday, October 5, 2008

Lit Flicks Challenge

Lit Flicks Challenge

Another challenge to bolster my blog! The Lit Flicks Challenge focuses on books made into movies, literature into film, stories into celluloid. To complete the challenge, participants must read five and see two, though I think it would be much more enjoyable to see all five. A generous timeline is given, September 2008 to February 2009.

And as per the raison d'être of BBBE, all five will be novellas. Out of the five I've selected, two I've read and seen, two are brand new, and one is a mystery.

The two that I've read and seen are Pascal Quinard's novella All the World's Mornings (Tous les matins du monde) and Marguerite Duras' The Lover. It's been a while since I've read and seen these two: at least a year and a half for the former; over a decade for The Lover. In both cases I saw the film before I read the novella; this time around I'll read the novella and then see the film. These two have been important to me, and I wonder how they stack up now.

In the spirit of exploration, I've selected two that I haven't read or seen: Villa des Roses by Willem Elsschot and Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote. I've read and reviewed Elsschot's Cheese and own an as-yet-unread collection of his novellas. Though I've seen the biopic Capote, I've never read Breakfast at Tiffany's nor seen the classic film with Audrey Hepburn. Yeah, yeah, I know -- but ars longa, vita brevis! So cut me some slack.

My final selection is a mystery -- not a whodunit or private detective story, but a true mystery. I have no clue as to what it will be, but I wanted to leave one space open for spontaneous discovery, serendipity if you will. Chance favors a prepared a mind. My antennae will be up and I hope that more novella-into-film adaptations will blip on the BBBE radar.

Here's the quick list for easy viewing:
  • The Lover
  • All The World's Mornings
  • Breakfast at Tiffany's
  • Villa des Roses
  • a mystery

5 comments:

Bill said...

You writing rivals your guitar playing! Thanks for making me think about the difference between a novel and a novella.

Chris said...

Thanks for dropping by and leaving comments, Bill!

Anonymous said...

Chris, thanks for joining the Lit Flicks Challenge! I love the theme for your blog. I completed a Novella Challenge earlier in the year and loved it. Anyway, I think you'll enjoy both the book and the movie of Breakfast at Tiffany's. I look forward to your reviews.

(Also, since you seem interested in seeing all five movies, you can join my brother's companion challenge for movie lovers here: http://bitchinfilmreviews.com/?page_id=93)

Chris said...

Jessica, I think we were part of the same novella challenge! I'm looking forward to B@T's as well.

ibeeeg said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

The titles you have chosen seem very interesting. I think I may look into them to expand my horizon.

I look forward to your reviews.